Back to Blog
Meta descriptions have been a point of debate in the community for the past decade. There has been much back and forth discussing whether or not they are a ranking factor and whether or not the matter for SEO.
So, what does the latest data tell us? And what should we be doing in 2021?
Well, according to the latest information from the SEO Sydney experts, we have a couple of points that are worth looking into when it comes to meta descriptions.
1. Meta descriptions do not necessarily matter for the actual ranking position of your website
2. Meta descriptions do have an important role in the click from through from Google to search engines.
So, out latest information tells us that meta descriptions do not necessarily matter for ranking position. They do, however, matter for click through rate. That means that you should place some emphasis on how you rank in Google.
Here are a few points that matter in 2021:
1. Meta descriptions should be 155 characters for optimum SEO positioning
2. Meta descriptions should use your target keywords
3. Meta descriptions should be targeted towards the CTA, not just the SEO of the website.
In 2021, meta descriptions do not directly influence where you rank in Google. They do, however, matter for the click through rate from Google. Remember, rankings are no good without click through from the search engine results pages. You should spend time optimising them to get people to click through to them from the search engine results pages.